Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chicken Burritos

Last week I made burritos when I was in a hurry. I had forgotten how satisfying this meal could be and how much my kids love them. I have said this before and will say it again, sometimes I feel silly posting these 'recipes' because they are so simple. That being said, I feel compelled to share these quick easy recipes because they really are kid friendly, healthy and quick. I most likely have all of these ingredients on hand on any given day and am guessing others do as well. Seriously, my kids ate almost the whole adult sized burrito.

Chicken Burritos

Timing - 20 minutes

Ingredients
1 T olive oil
1/2 a small red onion, minced finely (about 1/3 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 lbs chicken tenders (or cut boneless skinless breasts in about tender size)
1 T chili powder
salt and pepper
the juice of one lime
1 can vegetarian refried beans
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
sliced avocado
hot sauce
whole wheat tortillas (burrito sized)

How to Make
Heat skillet over medium-high heat and then add the olive oil. Saute the onion for about 3 minutes until it begins to soften, then add the garlic and chili powder and cook for about 30 seconds more. Add the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook about 3-4 minutes per side until the chicken is cooked through.

Remove the chicken to a cutting board and use two forks to shred it. Add it back to the pan and stir everything together. At the very end, squeeze a whole lime over the chicken mixture.

Warm the tortillas and then assemble the burritos with beans, chicken and cheese and then any of the other toppings you or your kids like.

Serves 4

No comments: