Sunday, March 15, 2009

Chicken Thighs with Olives and Tomato Sauce (Cooking Light)

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the slow cooker. In theory, it seems like the working mom's dream, but in practice, I hardly ever use mine because I feel like:

1. Everything tastes the same or

2. Food is overcooked and tasteless



Ok, so that might be a bit harsh, but honestly, I pick and choose what goes in. I've had good luck with soup and chili, and Dan's mom makes a mean Italian beef, but that is the extent of the success I have had. So, when this month's Cooking Light had some slow cooker recipes, I had to give it a try. I made this recipe with a few modifications based on what I had around, and it was fantastic! I served it over Israeli cous cous with some nice crusty bread and everyone agreed it should 'go on the blog.*'



* - Lucas now knows what 'the blog' is and frequently tells me what should and shouldn't go there.



Chicken Thighs with Olives and Tomato Sauce (adapted from Cooking Light)



Timing - 20 minutes hands on, 6-8 hours in slow cooker



Ingredients

12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper
olive oil
1.5 t minced garlic
1/4 cup dry red wine (or white)
3 T tomato paste
2-3 t crushed red pepper
1 28 oz can tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
2 T chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley


How to Make
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan and brown on both sides for about 2 minutes. Don't crowd the pan; do in two batches if necessary. Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Add garlic to the pan and saute 40 seconds, stirring. Add wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 30 seconds. Place wine mixture in cooker.


Squeeze tomatoes to break them up and add to the cooker. Add tomato paste and crushed red pepper.


Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (I did 8). Stir in a little more salt and pepper to taste, as well as the olives and parsley.


Serves 6

No comments: