Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Broiled Lemon Thyme Cod (Gourmet Magazine)

Friends ask me all the time where I get my recipes. The answer is a lot of places. I read cooking magazines and food articles in the paper obsessively and I have a penchant for Food Network marathons. From there, I often modify recipes or make up my own using ideas from several recipes. But over time, I have found a few go-to places where I can usually use the recipes almost 'as is' or with small changes based on the ingredients I have on hand or to suit the foodie kids' tastes. In the past couple of years, I have seen a real change in some of the more serious foodie magazines to gear at least some of the recipes to quick cooking or family cooking. This has been such a joy for me because I can get my fix of the more intricate recipes for adults only dinner parties and find some easy staples in the process.

Gourmet Magazine has a "Gourmet Every Day Quick Kitchen" section where they have 30, 20 and even 10 (yes 10!) minute meals. This month, I found a simple broiled fish recipe that called for pollock. I used cod, which is a similar fish. You could also use sole fillets if they are on the thicker side. I served the fish with some chard which was very enjoyable for the adults, but the kids didn't go for it. They did gobble up the fish itself though, and the couscous I made as the other side. This is a great Monday meal, because it is almost totally hands off and literally done in 20 minutes.

Broiled Lemon Thyme Cod (adapted from Gourmet Magazine, December 2008)

Timing - 20 minutes

Ingredients
4 (6-to7-oz) pieces cod fillets
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 t grated lemon zest
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T finely chopped shallot
2 t chopped thyme

How to Make
Preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan or baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup) and spray with cooking spray. Put fish, skin side down, on pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Whisk together all remaining ingredients an spread evenly over the top of the fish. Broil 5 to 7 inches from heat until just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.

Serves 4

No comments: