Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bean and Cheese "taquitos"

Sometimes I hesitate to put my really simple dishes on here because it's almost embarrassing to call them a 'recipe.' However, I was inspired tonight as I was leaving work and one of my friends lamented that she had 'nothing to cook.' This is one of the things I do when I feel the same way. It's fast and doesn't take a lot of ingredients and I almost always have what I need to make it. In addition, beans are a great way to get protein in your kids, even vegetarians, and my kids are both big fans. The crispiness is why I call these a 'taquito' vs. a burrito. They almost seam easier to eat because the kids can pick them up without them flopping over. Of course you could feel free to add meat to these, and I add tomatoes and chopped green onions to the ones for the adults (my kids are not fans of either of these ingredients).

Bean and Cheese 'Taquitos.'

Timing - 10 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to bake

Ingredients
8 taco size whole wheat flour tortillas
1 can black beans, drained
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin
shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
chopped green onions and tomatoes (optional)
sliced avocado, sour cream, chopped cilantro and salsa for serving

How to Make
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Simmer the beans and spices in a small saucepan for about 5 minutes and then lightly mash to blend together (some whole beans are fine).

Place about two tablespoons of beans in the center of each tortilla, top with cheddar cheese and onions and tomatoes if using. Roll up the tortillas and place seam side down in a baking dish. Bake for about 15 minutes until the tortillas are crisped. Serve with the avocado, sour cream, cilantro and salsa.

Serves 4

No comments: